Friday, September 4, 2009

1927 Model T Ford Truck Bed and singing...

This bed off my Model A is actually from a 1926 or 1927 Model T. I had to Google the Johnny Cash song about the guy taking the pieces from work to build himself a Cadillac. It's called "one piece at a time" and the song says it took several years and he now owns a '56, '57, 58'... caddy. Obviously his grandfather worked at Ford and I bought his '26, '27, '28, '29, '30 pickup! I thought that was cute but the reality is that the parts for many of the model years were used for the next model. The doors and latches on the 1928 and '29 truck are the same as the 1927 Model T.

I've removed the old wood from the bed and will salvage as much of the metal as possible. There are several places you can buy complete beds or the individual pieces. The cheapest I have found is lastrerfuagehotrod.com. I haven't ordered any parts from them but their prices for a complete bed is less than half of other sources. The front panel of the 1926 bed was indented for the battery. It has been poorly patched on this bed and I'll either order a new front panel or fabricate one myself. When finished you'll never know I'm driving a "Johnny Cash" truck.


My neighbor had an oak tree removed from his yard and cut into boards. He was kind enough to give me plenty of lumber to rebuild the bottom of the bed. It has been cut for several years so once planed and sanded it should look great. There are lots of places to get the patterns and new hardware so I'm excited about getting all this "converted" into a Model A bed.


I like writing about my truck and sharing what little I know about the Model A Ford. I don't profess to know much and unlike a lot of folks, I don't claim to be an expert. It says in Ecclesiastes 7:5 It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of a fool. So read your bible, double check my facts and if you want to sing along with this fool it goes: " It's a 1927, 1928, 1929...."



1 comment: