Monday, August 10, 2009

Lug Nut update


It's amazing what you can learn by reading, maybe not this blog but other places. I was about to lower the truck from the jack stands when I realized the wheels weren't tight. I know the studs have 1/2" - 20 threads so the new after market nuts "fit" but they didn't completely tighten the wheels. I found the answer posted by Vince Falter at Deucegarage.com and it makes you say "Duh". The studs have an unthreaded shoulder at the base that's not obvious when the wheels are in place. The aftermarket nuts are threaded all the way to the end. The original lug nut in the picture shows the relief needed for the shoulder.


I guess I'll be using my old originals until my new ones arrive. But heck, if beating, sanding, welding and working on the truck isn't enough, at least I'll get some real exercise walking to the front porch looking for a package!

No comments:

Post a Comment