Friday, August 14, 2009

The Model A Ford Carburetor



This post could be Biblical in nature. Not that I'll be trying to preach to you, ( my brother is a minister), but more like in Mathew 15:14 "..If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch." So I'll not be trying to teach you about carburetors, only telling you about mine.

The great thing about working on a drivable project is just that, you can take it out for a drive. After several weeks in the garage I decided to go for a spin. I set the spark advance, set the throttle, pulled the choke and hit the starter. It won't start. It cranks like crazy but doesn't even attempt to start. It's like it's not getting any...I reach under the dash and make sure I had turned on the gas. I had, so that wasn't the problem. Relying heavily on my shade tree mechanic "if it's getting fuel and fire it should run" training, I give the carb a shot of starting fluid and step on the starter. It runs for a second and dies, it's time to pull the carb.
For you non Model A folks this might sound pretty impressive. But I've never been intimidated by two bolts, a fuel line and two spring clips. After setting it on my bench I remove the 3 screws holding the top and bottom half together. When separated it's obvious the float valve is stuck closed. Now its just a matter of soaking and cleaning all the parts. Every one has their preference of carb cleaning products, I find that injector cleaners that are normally poured into the tank work great.
Soaking, scrubbing and an air gun transform this Tillotson model X F carb into something Karl Benz, of Mercedes-Benz fame, would have been proud to own. ( He invented the carburetor.....)
After bolting it on and turning on the fuel, the truck starts and sounds great. I'm going for a spin in my drivable project truck!

No comments:

Post a Comment